Top » Catalog » Test kits »


COLOMBO GH Test (80 Tests)

COLOMBO GH Test (80 Tests)
Product Introduction:

UK: Manual for Colombo Aquatests General Guidelines

- Always take care that the test tube is clean before use.

- Clean the tube directly after use.

- Take the volume of the water sample as precisely as possible.

- Keep the drop bottle perfectly vertical during dropping.

- Take care that no air bubbles are included in the drops.

For judging the colour of the water sample after adding all the test fluids, proceed as follows:

put the test tube on the included colour chart and look through the tube on to the chart from directly above it. Do not look in direct sun light, but at indirect light. Compare the colour of the water sample with the colours on the chart. The closest colour shows the corresponding value. Generally the colours of the sample and on the chart will not be exactly the same, as values in practice will always be between the standard values, as thus a mixture of both consecutive values. Therefore, one should estimate between which co-lours the sample really lies.

In the test where drops are to be counted , like KH and GH, the mo-ment at which the colour changes is the point at which the true value is reached. The number of drops added to reach that point can be converted to the true value. The colour change is reached within one or two drops. Within the one or two drops the sample has an intermediate colour. The true end value is only reached when the colour doesn’t change anymore. These Colombo-tests are calibrated with professional laboratory test, ensuring the most precise test possible.

Total Hardness (GH) Test procedure:

1. Take a water sample of 5 ml.

2. Add 5 drop of GH-1-test fluid and mix; the sample should be dark red to purple.

3. Add 1 drop of GH-2-test fluid and mix each time. When the sample turns blue, the GH is lower than 1°DH.

4. Add GH-2-test fluid drop by drop and mix, until the sample turns blue.

5. The number of drops added to induce the colour change from dark red/purple to blue, is equal to GH-value in°DH, so 2 drops =2°DH, 3 drops = 3°DH and so on.

The GH is the so-called total hardness or in German Gesamtharte, abbreviated to GH. The GH is the total amount of dissolved minerals like calcium and magnesium; in practice about 90% of the GH is made up out of calcium, the remaining 10% is magnesium. These minerals are important substances for fish health but also for a good growth of water plants. In case of an adequate GH, these minerals do not limit the plant growth and thus plants can grow optimal. Optimal plant growth is the natural way for blocking algae growth, and thus an optimal GH is also important for clear water and keeping away (thread) algae. Thus, test the GH regularly and refresh 10 % of the water weekly. An optimal GH-value in fresh water(both aquaria as well as ponds) is between 8 and 12°DH. When the GH is above 15°DH, the water is too hard and while deposits in the form of lime can occur. You can lower the GH by refreshing water; first check the GH and add Colombo Fish Protect to the fresh water. When the GH is lower than 8°DH, you can increase it with Colombo GH+.


Quick Find
Use keywords to find the product you are looking for.
Advanced Search
We Accept
中文 English
0 items
Share Product
Share via E-Mail
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
CG Aquarium Story